How to Make a Mac Virtual Machine in Hyper-V
Hyper-V is a virtualization technology based on hypervisors that allow multiple operating systems to run simultaneously on one machine. It comes as standard with Windows and is widely used by developers, IT pros, and testers. In this guide, we’ll show you how to create a Mac virtual machine within Hyper-V for use on a Windows computer – running Mac OS on a PC can be beneficial for software development, testing, and education – by taking you through all the necessary steps needed for setting up this type of machine in Hyper-V.
Before creating a Mac virtual machine in Hyper-V, there are some prerequisites you must meet. These include:
Before you start creating a Mac virtual machine in Hyper-V, there are a few prerequisites that you need to fulfill. These include:
- A computer running Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise with at least 8 GB of RAM and a dual-core CPU.
- Hyper-V feature enabled on your Windows PC.
- A copy of the macOS High Sierra installer.
- A Virtual Machine software, such as VirtualBox or VMware.
Download the macOS High Sierra Installer:
To create a Mac virtual machine in Hyper-V, you will need to download the macOS High Sierra installer from the Apple App Store. Follow these steps to download the installer:
- Open the App Store on your Mac.
- Search for “macOS High Sierra” in the search bar.
- Click on “Get” to start downloading the installer.
Create a New Virtual Machine:
Once you have downloaded the macOS High Sierra installer, you can create a new virtual machine in Hyper-V. Follow these steps:
- Open Hyper-V Manager.
- Click on “New” in the toolbar.
- Select “Virtual Machine” from the options.
- Follow the instructions in the “New Virtual Machine Wizard” to create a new virtual machine.
- When prompted for the installation media, select “Install an operating system from a bootable CD/DVD-ROM”.
- Browse to the location where you saved the macOS High Sierra installer and select it.
Install macOS High Sierra on the Virtual Machine:
After creating a new virtual machine, you can install macOS High Sierra on it. Follow these steps:
- Start the virtual machine by clicking on “Start” in the toolbar.
- The macOS High Sierra installer should start automatically. Follow the instructions to install macOS High Sierra.
- When prompted for the destination disk, select the virtual hard disk created by Hyper-V.
- Complete the installation process.
Install Hyper-V Integration Services:
After installing macOS High Sierra on the virtual machine, you will need to install the Hyper-V Integration Services. These services provide better performance and support for features such as copy-paste, drag-and-drop, and network connectivity. Follow these steps:
- Start the virtual machine.
- Click on “Action” in the toolbar and select “Insert Integration Services Setup Disk”.
- Follow the instructions to install the Hyper-V Integration Services.
- Restart the virtual machine.
Configure the Virtual Machine:
After installing the Hyper-V Integration Services, you can configure the virtual machine settings to optimize performance. Follow these steps:
- Open Hyper-V Manager.
- Right-click on the virtual machine and select “Settings”.
- Increase the amount of memory allocated to the virtual machine to at least 4 GB.
- Enable the “Virtualization Extensions” option.
- Enable the “RemoteFX” option.
- Click “OK
Hyper v vs Virtual Machine Platform
Hyper-V and Virtual Machine Platforms are both virtualization technologies Microsoft provides for Windows operating systems. However, some differences between the two may affect your choice of which to use.
Hyper-V is a type 1 hypervisor, which means it runs directly on the host system’s hardware. It is designed to create and manage multiple virtual machines, each running its operating system. Hyper-V includes Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise and provides advanced virtualization features such as live migration and virtual networking.
A Virtual Machine Platform, on the other hand, is a type 2 hypervisor, which means it runs on top of a host operating system. It was created to provide a lightweight and efficient virtualization solution for running containerized applications and microservices. Virtual Machine Platform is included with Windows 10 version 2004 or later and supports Linux containers and Windows Sandbox.
Regarding compatibility, Hyper-V can run various operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and macOS. At the same time, the Virtual Machine Platform is primarily focused on containerized applications and Windows Sandbox.
When it comes to performance, Hyper-V generally provides better performance and scalability than a Virtual Machine Platform, especially for running multiple virtual machines. However, a Virtual Machine Platform can provide faster startup times and reduce resource overhead for containerized applications.
The choice between Hyper-V and Virtual Machine Platform depends on your needs and use cases. For example, Hyper-V may be better if you need advanced virtualization features and support for multiple operating systems. On the other hand, you need a lightweight and efficient virtualization solution for running containerized applications. Therefore, a virtual Machine Platform may be a better fit.
Q: Can I run Mac OS on a Windows computer without using a virtual machine?
A: You cannot run Mac OS on a Windows machine without using virtual machines or other emulation software.
Q: Do I Need to Purchase a Mac OS License to Create a Virtual Machine?
A: To install and use Mac OS on a virtual machine, you must possess an active Mac OS license.
Q: Can I create a Mac virtual machine using Hyper-V on Windows 7 or 8?
No, Hyper-V is only available with Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions.
Q: Can I create a virtual Mac machine using VirtualBox or VMware?
A: Yes, you can create one with other virtual machine software; however, the process may differ from this guide.
Setting up a Mac virtual machine in Hyper-V can be an invaluable software development, testing, and education resource. Follow the instructions in this guide to set up and run Mac OS on your Windows computer with just some patience! Ensure all prerequisites are fulfilled, download the macOS High Sierra installer, create a new virtual machine, install macOS High Sierra, and configure its settings appropriately – then enjoy all its advantages! With patience and careful consideration, you’ll soon be running Mac OS on your PC!